Call: +44 (0)151 424 2488   

About

Brief History

  • Solar was established in 1979
  • Family owned  Independent lubricant blender who’s predecessor started 1908 as “The Kimberley Oil Company” (business became Solar Petroleum Ltd in 1983)
  • Originally sited in Manchester we relocated to Widnes in 1992 (near Liverpool)- Factory at Ditton Rd has been an oil blending site for about 80 years
  • Blending capacity – approx 15 million litres. Bulk storage capacity of 1,000,000 litres. Area –approx 1 hectare -Building approx 4,000 m2

The original site and business was established in 1908 as the Kimberley Oil Co. and later became T.O. Kenny & Co. The owner (Thomas Owen Kenny) was one of the first oil blenders in the North West of England. He owned patents to some specialised leather treatment oils, and developed customers including the local coal mine (the Bradford Colliery, Manchester). 

Products included wire rope lubricants, anti-rust oils, black pitch varnish and Pickerings tanning oils.

In 1979 the business was purchased by James Devery, who had been long aquanted with T.O Kenny & Co as a customer from the Construction and Plant Hire industry. Soon afterwards his son Noel (a graduate in material science) joined the company. He began to develop the business into a modern manufacturing facility with a wide range of products and is now the Managing Director. Another son - Adrian joined the business in 1989 and is now the Sales Director.

In 1991 Solar Petroleum Ltd relocated to its present manufacturing facility in Widnes. The site is a purpose-built lubricants blending facility  located in close proximity of the major road networks for the whole country. The company has developed its markets at home and abroad, and is a successful family business with a strong technical bias.